Sukhasana or the easy sitting pose is one of the simplest poses for meditation suited for all beginners. Sukhasana comes from the Sanskrit work ‘Sukham’ which can mean ‘comfort’, ‘easy’, ‘joyful’, ‘pleasure’, etc. Sukhasana can be done by all age groups.
BENEFITS OF SUKHASANA
Sukhasana is the most suited sitting posture for beginners. It is good for the practice of meditation and pranayama. Those who have tight hips, cannot sit in advanced postures like Padmasana. For them, Sukhasana is the easiest alternative.
Once you are comfortable with Sukhasana, you should move on to more advanced sitting postures like Ardha Padmasana, Padmasana or Sidhasana for meditation.
HOW TO DO SUKHASANA
1. Sit on the floor with legs stretched out. Always use a yoga mat or a cushion or a carpet while sitting on the floor.
2. Fold the left leg and tug it inside the right thigh.Then fold the right leg and tug in inside the left thigh.Keep the hands on the knees.
3. Sit erect with spine straight.Relax your whole body and breathe normally.
4. Maintain this position for as long a comfortable.
The meaning of ‘Padma’ is the lotus. While sitting in this posture, the human body looks like a lotus. Thus it is named Padmasana
BENEFITS OF DOING PADMASANA.
Padmasana is basic posture for many yogic acts. If you want to do chanting for longer hours it is convenient to sit in this pose. Sitting in this posture makes the energy of human body taking its natural shape. It helps in healing several disorders in our body.
All the yogis and their pupils prefer to be in this posture while doing the various breathing exercises.
HOW TO DO PADMASANA
1. You just sit on the floor or on yoga net, spreading your legs in forward position.
2. Arrange your left foot on the right thigh and the right on your left thigh.
3. Keep the upper half of body straight and put left hand on left knee and right on the right knee. The palms should be facing upward.
Thunderbolt pose or Vajrasana is a modified way of sitting. One would not get tired for hours if he or she sits in this manner. It would keep the whole weight of the body on legs and in a balanced manner. The spine would remain straight automatically due to the pose.
BENEFITS OF VAJRASANA
Vajrasana helps the digestion process and assists in eliminating the gastric troubles. Those who have suffered from the pain in the knee would be benefited by doing this posture.
One who practices this yogic posture regularly does not suffer from fever, constipation, indigestion and other minor or major ailments. Your mind would also get stabilized in this posture. It is very useful while doing meditation, as it helps you becoming concentrated and focussed.
HOW TO DO VAJRA ASANA
1. First of all, sit on the floor by extending your legs forward and putting the palms resting.
2. Then bend your one leg from the knee and put it just below the buttock. Repeat the same act for another leg, in a way that the things rest on the legs and the buttocks on the heels.
3. Keep the breathing at normal speed. Even if you do not try keeping the breath normal, it will catch its normal speed naturally!
4. Put both the hands resting on thighs and sit erect. You might feel some pain in ankles, knees or toes; but gradually it will be set right.
Regular practice of these postures will make you Harmonious and Healthy.